Sport Reports

Senators/Indians take on Kingston

Jun 13, 2016 - On Sunday afternoon (12th June), a combined Senators/Indians squad were looking for revenge against a travelling Kingston squad, two weeks after the Senators (with Indians support) were defeated 6 tries to 1 in Kingston. On a day that was more reminiscent of late-October, an icy wind blew steadily across the pitch at TERP, chilling the few dedicated non-playing supporters to the bone.

The first action, just before kick-off, saw Gaffney retire to the changing rooms apparently "injured". In reality, he simply needed to apply extra hair gel to counteract the stiff, chilly breeze, as he was planning to see Mumford & Sons after the game, and wanted to look his best for the other Hipsters.

With Gaffney returned (albeit briefly, before the inevitable game-ending injury), hair now locked tightly in place, Stewy, the referee, blew his whistle for kick-off, and battle commenced, with Ottawa playing into the wind. On the 5-minute mark, Kingston turned the ball over after an Ottawa attack, and quickly passed the ball along the back line for their left wing to score in the corner (0-1). There were to be no conversions today, much to the relief of Ottawa Captain Clifford. After 10 minutes, Kingston suddenly switched play to the left-hand side, and with a deft chip-and-chase they tapped down to score their second try (0-2). Kingston had started strongly in the scrum once again, driving the Ottawa pack backwards on their own ball. Just before the end of the first quarter (15 minutes), Kingston were awarded a penalty on the 22m line for a late Ottawa hit. They quickly passed left to score in the corner (0-3). The second quarter started with stalemate for the first 10 minutes, until two quick tap-penalties resulted in Storeshaw crashing over to score Ottawa's first try of the game from close range (1-3 at half-time).

The second half kicked off, with Ottawa now having the icy wind to their advantage. Ottawa piled on the pressure, and were camped in the Kingston half for 10 minutes. The scrums were now much more stable. Finally, Ottawa crossed the Kingston try-line for a well-earned try, only to be called back by Stewy the Ref for a penalty - to Ottawa! A furiously complaining Gaffney, now in jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops ready for his evening with Mumford & Sons, stormed over to the referee demanding justice. The referee responded immediately to the unprecedented pitch invasion with "Who are you? Get off the pitch!". Gaffney retreated to the side-lines with his tail between his legs. Ottawa failed to score from the tap-penalty, and Kingston kicked through to relieve the pressure (end of third quarter 1-3).

Early in the final quarter Kingston scored in the left-hand corner after some creative running and passing (1-4). Almost immediately Ottawa responded with a try by "Shirt-of-Showing-off" recipient Gaudreau (JF), scoring for the second game in a row, as he scythed through the Kingston defences, showing good pace for a front-row forward (2-4). More Ottawa pressure resulted in a third try with 3 minutes left to play, this time by Indians player "Dougal". Unfortunately, Ottawa had left it too late, and the whistle blew to leave the final score Ottawa 3-4 Kingston. The game had taken its toll on the Ottawa players, with Gaffney, Shore, Bailes and Banting, almost an entire Senators back-line, retiring injured at various points during the match.

With an unlikely-to-happen fixture scheduled next Sunday against the Indians (on Fathers' Day, 19th June), the Senators' sights will now be set on the visit by Syracuse on Saturday 25th June to play for the St. Lawrence Cup (currently held by Syracuse). The two weeks rest may be just what the doctor ordered...

Back to Sport Reports